5 Reasons to Hire an Editor for Your Book
Still trying to decide if you need an editor? Spoiler alert: Yes, you do...
When you hire an editor for your book, you’re faced with what is often the most expensive decision of the publishing process. A good freelance book editor can cost a lot of money and this can deter many self-publishing authors from choosing to hire one. However, any author who has made this mistake will tell you that it just isn’t sensible—if you’re a self-publishing author and you want to make an income by writing, your books need to stand out. No matter how brilliant your plot, or how neat your writing style, you need to hire an editor for your book to take it to the next level.
Every author deserves to work with a passionate, professional book editor. It’s the reason I offer my affordable book editing services to authors from all walks of life. Whether you’re just starting to write your first novel, or you’ve been making an income writing novels for twenty years, there are so many benefits you’ll receive when you hire an editor for your book that financial worries should be the last thing on your mind.
Here are 5 reasons to hire an editor for your book:
1. Improve your vocabulary A good editor will help you to transform your manuscript…and your vocabulary. You might be surprised to see just how many times bland words like ‘said’, ‘nice’, and ‘very’ crop up in your novel. (And these aren’t the only culprits!) When you hire an editor for your book, you’ll get the expertise of a professional who works with words every day, so they’ll know all the best alternatives to replace dull word choices and breathe new life into your writing.
2. Get unbiased advice on your manuscript Yes, it’s nice to have the support of your friends and family, and maybe you’ve pulled in some beta readers too, but when you’re paying an editor to provide a professional service, they won’t hold back from giving constructive criticism. Even better, they’ll have read plenty of books in your genre before, so they’ll know exactly what needs to change or stay the same to make your book stand out. Could your best friend do that?
3. Receive support beyond the page When I take on a client, my work doesn’t end when I’ve finished editing. A good editor is a resource you should utilise, and I’m always happy to answer any questions my clients have about the rest of the publishing process. Want to submit your novel to a publisher? Ask your editor for advice—they might be able to recommend a list of contacts for you.
4. Save time (and a lot of stress) It takes a lot of time to edit a novel, especially your own. Rather than stressing yourself out Google-searching the little details like correct hyphen usage, hire an editor for your book and save yourself time to focus on all the other tasks you need to complete in prep for Publication Day.
5. Have a fresh set of eyes on your book You’re about to send your novel out into the world, right? Then it makes perfect sense to get a second opinion before making the leap. Every writer goes blind to some pretty noticeable mistakes after reading the same page they’re written over and over. (Did you catch mine right there?) It’s not your fault—it happens to all of us. But once you’ve published your book, you can’t go back and edit out anything you’re not happy with—so wouldn’t you rather an editor removed any niggling mistakes before your paying readers have chance to spot them?
My affordable book editing services include proofreading, copy editing, manuscript formatting, and query/submission editing. I offer a completely free, no-obligation sample edit (up to 1,500 words) to every author I work with, so even if you’re still considering options, why not contact me today to find out first-hand how my affordable book editing services can benefit your novel?